- The dates of the 11 gazetted public holidays for 2017 are as follows:
New Year’s Day 1 Jan 2017* Sunday Chinese New Year 28 Jan 2017
29 Jan 2017*
Good Friday 14 Apr 2017 Friday Labour Day 1 May 2017 Monday Vesak Day 10 May 2017 Wednesday Hari Raya Puasa 25 Jun 2017* Sunday National Day 9 Aug 2017 Wednesday Hari Raya Haji 1 Sep 2017 Friday Deepavali 18 Oct 2017 Wednesday Christmas Day 25 Dec 2017 Monday
* The following Monday will be a public holiday.
- The list of public holidays for 2017 is available on the Ministry of Manpower’s website.
Payment for Work Done on a Public Holiday
- The Ministry would like to remind all employers that under the Employment Act:
- An employee who is required to work on a public holiday is entitled to an extra day’s salary at the basic rate of pay.
- Alternatively, the employer and employee may mutually agree to substitute a public holiday for another working day.
- An employer also has the additional option of granting managers or executives, earning up to a basic monthly salary of $4,500, time-off-in-lieu for working on a public holiday. The time off should consist of a mutually agreed number of hours.
Public Holidays on Saturdays
- Under the Employment Act, if a public holiday falls on a Saturday, an employee who is not required to work on a Saturday is entitled to another day off or an extra day’s salary in lieu of that public holiday.
- For more information on the Public Holiday provisions under the Employment Act, please refer to the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) website.